Dawn1

Russian Sage

I just bought on of these today because I think the plant is so pretty and will add a nice contrast to my garden. I honestly don't know too much about this plant though. Just curious - will this perennial stay in one place or will it get aggressive and take over?? Any advice would be appreciated. TIA :D

Dawn1

Oh yeah one more thing - I would like to keep it more compact instead of getting too big so if I see that it is getting too big can I shrink it down in the fall by pulling it up and replanting a smaller portion??

Dawn1

Sorry one more thing...if the plant in invasive could I not just cut out the bottom of the container and plant it that way? I have never done this before and I don't know if it works to keep the plant smaller???

femlow

Thats a lovely choice. From what I could find, you should cut it down to just a few inches when it dies back in the fall. I don't think you will have to worry about it taking over your garden. I think they tend to stay under control pretty well, with only the occassional possible runner which can easily be taken care of.

fem

Gardena

russian sage is sun loving plant, it gets leggy if it doens't get enough sun.
You can keep cliping when flowers fade as much as you want.
you can also cut it down almost to ground during winter.
New growth will appeaer in spring.
Make sure its planted in well drained soil. or it get root rot.

addition to it, its not invasive and no need to replant for years and years. but certainly not small plant.
It grows pretty tall if you just let it grow freely.
Good luck maintain its size :D

Return to “Perennials”