Daylilly
Newly Registered

Can anyone identify this Perennial?

Hi everyone! My name is Jennifer and I'm new to the forum. Can anyone tell me what the name of this type of flower is that I just planted? All I know is that it's a perennial! Thanks so much to anyone who can help!

[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/BananaTwirl/flower.jpg[/img]

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Daylily,

You don't say your hardiness zone so it could be a perennial in zone 8 or 9, but an annual in zone 5. It looks like Coreopsis verticillata 'Moonbeam' aka Moonbeam coreopsis.
https://www.naturehills.com/new/product/perennialsdetails.aspx?prodid=1190

Newt

GreenBayMike

Most definately a moonbeam - although mine has darker green leaves and stems... I have one in my backyard (Zone 4) - This is one tough plant! Its a perennial in my yard.

Daylilly
Newly Registered

Thanks so much! It's a perrineal here too (I'm in zone 5)! I can't wait til they get bigger and spread.. they're so pretty! Since it's such a tough plant, do you think that means it won't have any problem when I move it closer in that same soil (I'm going to plant some daylilies back there). Thanks again!

GreenBayMike

Yeah, it should be fine with a transplant. It won't spread too much, but they get to be about 36" across and 12" tall or so. I have them at the base of my daylillies and it looks real nice. By 'tough', I mean it can handle drought and heat and cold very well, and still look nice and happy. I think you'd almost have to try to kill it to do it any harm.

Dawnatwana
Newly Registered

I am in Zone 5, ( Canada) and I have found that this perennial is not hardy for me, so I consider it an annual. I purchase it and add it to the garderns anyway.

GreenBayMike

Interesting - maybe because I live on the border between Zone 4 and 5 I have just enough of a milder winter to allow it to live...

Return to “Perennials”