specgrade

Ornamental Grass Care Question (Pictures Update)

Hello all, My wife and I have a big spot of ornamental grass in our backyard and we were wondering when, how and why we should cut it back for the winter if at all. How close to the ground and so forth? I wasn't sure which forum to ask in. Thanks for any replies!
Last edited by specgrade on Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

microcollie
Green Thumb

I, too, leave mine standing through the winter. It provides a spot out of the elements for those crazy enough to stick around through the winter here in western MA (zone 4) Come spring, I cut them as close to the ground as I can. Most grasses send new sprouts from the roots, not the previous year's growth, so it can be cut to the ground.

specgrade

Marlingardener and microcollie, thanks for the tips. I will leave the grass alone for the winter and give it a "bladecut" in the spring. Last year my wife cut it back either in Sept. or Oct. and it came back pretty good. This year she sprayed Miracle Grow on it a few times and now it's a big and bushy.

lorax
Greener Thumb

If it's Cortaderia (Pampas grass), you'll want to be advised that it's really really sharp, and you should wear sturdy leather gloves to handle it and probably also a leather apron and safety goggles when pruning. I'm with everybody else - prune in the early spring, when you start to see new shoots.

Also, if it's Pampas Grass, it will benefit from being lit on fire once every three years or so in the fall, to clear out the crowns. It's environmentally adapted for this. But be careful - it really goes up. :shock:

specgrade

lorax wrote:If it's Cortaderia (Pampas grass), you'll want to be advised that it's really really sharp, and you should wear sturdy leather gloves to handle it and probably also a leather apron and safety goggles when pruning. I'm with everybody else - prune in the early spring, when you start to see new shoots.

Also, if it's Pampas Grass, it will benefit from being lit on fire once every three years or so in the fall, to clear out the crowns. It's environmentally adapted for this. But be careful - it really goes up. :shock:
Are you THE lorax??? Just kidding.... I'm not really sure what all that means?

I don't know what kind grass I have. I'll get a picture of the thing and post it and maybe you or someone can tell me. Thank you for the information, the blades are somewhat sharp now that you mention it.
Last edited by specgrade on Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

specgrade

Here are some pictures.

[img]https://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af338/specgrade/GrassBlades.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af338/specgrade/Grass.jpg[/img]

Thanks for any help in identifying this species.

specgrade

Marlingardener wrote:Specgrade,
When we were taking our Master Naturalist training (I flunked) we were told that "sedges have edges." What you have may not be a true grass, but a sedge. Doesn't make any difference in the care of the thing, except sedges are moderately more hardy and definitely sharper!
Looking forward to seeing your picture of your grass.
Pics are included in the post above this one.

microcollie
Green Thumb

Looks like miscanthus sinensis, maybe 'Variegatus' or 'Dixieland', but there are so many cultivars that come and go lately that I can't be sure.

specgrade

microcollie wrote:Looks like miscanthus sinensis, maybe 'Variegatus' or 'Dixieland', but there are so many cultivars that come and go lately that I can't be sure.
Thank you for trying! :flower:

Return to “Perennials”