C00KiE46

Need help with African Violets

I purchased an African Violet about a 2 weeks ago. I have it placed in my bathroom cause there's a sky light in there and that's the best room with light. Right now the leaves are soft and not firm like they use to be. Am I under watering or is the humidity in the bathroom is what's causing this? Or is it something else? :?

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I would say, too little light.

And you do need to let African Violets dry out a bit in between watering them. Constantly damp will cause soft leaves, and then rot will set in.
Do you not have a table with a lamp on it? They would love a coffee table with a lamp on them for about 12 hours a day.

Mine are on the shelf above the kitchen sink, get evening sun there. And on the dining room table, where they just get daylight from the windows.

C00KiE46

I haven't over watered it. Today was my 3rd time watering the plant. I let the soil get a little dry before I water again. I really thought the lighting wasn't a factor cause the bathroom is the room with light the whole day. Now I need to find a spot next to a window. Thanks.
Last edited by C00KiE46 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I have mine in a west-facing window in my living room. The window is shaded by my front porch, but the African violets get a little direct sun very late in the day. They sit across the room from an east-facing window, so they get a couple of hours of very early morning sun, as well. :)

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Can you get a water meter, type thing to test if you are overwatering your plants?-----If so, what would be a good one? Thanks. :)

Return to “Perennials”