Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Gerbera Daisies, in Pots in the house.

I got 3 of them this year, they flowered and flowered, but now the flowers are almost done on all but one. Do they need some fertilizer now? If so What would I use? I don't know if they keep flowering or not, or just flower the once and Quit for the winter???? ANY help would be appreciatted. :?: The leaves look great , I kept all the yellowing ones cut off, same as the Flowers when they were on the way out. I had such success with these, I don't want to lose them. Thank You. :)

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

You can try but they are not house plants so it is a bit sticky to conform indoors. Water when soil is dry, keep out of drafts and give them 1/2 day of sun. I doubt they will bloom indoors again. Plants go through a cycle and unless you have a greenhouse altering the cycle would be an attempt in vain. Use indoor plant food feed in winter.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Gerbera daisies are native to South Africa, and they need a lot of sun. In warm, sunny climates, they are perennial, but in cooler climates, they are generally treated as annuals. You may have to keep the plants under grow lights during the winter. They might need a little food, perhaps mixed half-strength, if they are actively growing and blooming. To encourage flowering, use a fertilizer designed for flowering plants, such as one for African violets.

If the plants go dormant during the winter, which is what they would do naturally, then they should not be fertilized at all, and watering should be reduced. Otherwise, they may develop root rot.

They will need high humidity, which can be provided by placing the pot on a humidity tray, or by misting the plant frequently.

Repot them in fresh soil in the spring.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:( So in Colder climates, they are considered a one shot wonder???? Awww That's not fair, they have such pretty flowers, they make you feel so good when you look at them. Lucky people in South africa to have them!----I'm going to try a bit of fertilizer now, then closer to winter I will put them under some grow lights--Which I will need to get, what is a good kind of Grow light :!: I haven't ever used them, so don't know what to look for? Will their colour come back as intense, Or do the growers put something on them, to get that lovely colour?---Thanks for the answers already, but I sure didn't know they were considered an annual :(

Return to “Perennials”