lonesavant
Newly Registered

HELP! Dying Peruvian Daffodil! (Hymenocallis)

I've grown Hymenocallis before, and it's as easy as its relative, the Amyrillis- just throw the bulbs in the ground, and poof! Flowers!

For some reason tho, my three plants all got two and a half feet tall, beautiful and leafy, and then all of the leaves flopped over and started yellowing from tip-to-base, and then the yellow tips would start getting soft and brown, almost rot like, which would also travel from tip-to-base. What's going on? I want my flowers!!! :shock:

microcollie
Green Thumb

You're right...it sounds like rot. I have a few growing in containers, and it seems that they want to be moist but not soggy. Good drainage is important. Also, they need to be planted with the top of the bulb above soil level (as with amaryllis). If the bottoms of the leaves are in the soil, it could be that they are rotting and not the bulb. In this case, it could still be dug up and saved.

lonesavant
Newly Registered

It seemed like that at first, except the leaves arent anywhere near the soil or other rot-sources- they're still prostrate, and the soil has been definitely on the dry side- I'd say 'too dry' even at times, so I can't imagine the bulbs are rotten...

microcollie
Green Thumb

Does the part of the bulb that's above the soil line still feel firm?

Return to “Perennials”