danigurl01
Newly Registered

Agapanthus

I bought a few containters of these plants and planted them in my front yard. The first few months after planting they were beautiful. Tall stalks with gorgeous flowers on the end. I noticed that the stalks seemed to be too heavy for the plant and some of them started to come out of the ground due to the heavy stalk. They also did not grow straight up, they started leaning, hence the heaviness and upplanting. I cut the stalks thinking that I would just enjoy the green plant part. I now see about twom months later that the leaves are turning yellow/white and are droopy. Can someone please help....what should I do, did I do something wrong. Thanks.

decam0

There's an excellent website on Agapanthus:

https://www.agapanthus.org.uk/uk/public/index.php?id=16

and it seems to be that the German common name for Agapanthus is....wait for it.....Shmucklilie! :lol:

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Welcome to the Forum Danigurl01!!
Agapanthus is a South African Lily Bulb or rhizome that prefers to be planted in full sun, with it's bulb just covered with soil. It likes soil that is kept moist, not wet, and does not like to dry out. It is hardy in Zones 7-11. Otherwise they need to be dug up and brought in for the winter. A solution to this is to plant them pots or containers that you can just move indoors.
Some varieties of Agapanthus do get very tall, and require some sort of support (I would suggest a plant ring). If the flower had been left on the plant, it would then form a seed pod, which when ripened, could be collected and planted, becoming a mature plant in about 3 years.
There are two groups of Agapanthus - evergreen, and the other's leaves die back every year.
I suspect that you have the type that die back every year, leaving the bulb to rejuvenate itself for the next season, similar to tulips and daffodils.
I wouldn't get alarmed.
However, if you are in a colder zone than 7-11, I would suggest that come fall, you dig them up and store them, as they will not winter.
Hope this helps, and allays your fears somewhat. I don't think you have done anything wrong, they are just doing what is natural to them.
Let us know how it is going, and feel free to return to the Forum anytime you have questions, comments, or just to chat! :wink:

Val

Return to “Perennials”