ESMcLane
Cool Member

Stargazer Lillies

Hi! it's been forever since I've been on here- a lot of great information has been posted : )

anyways, I have 2 stargazer lily plants that are in full bloom (so beautiful & fragrant!) I should not clip the dead flowers off so they will re-seed themselves and multiply right? I know this is true for day lillies & other varieties, but I'm not sure if it's the same for stargazer.

thanks for the help!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't think growing from seed is the best way to multiply any lilies, daylilies or oriental lilies. I dead head all my lilies. The daylilies multiply very fast from the roots, aggressively so. They can be divided at any time and spread around the yard until you have more daylilies than you know what to do with.

The oriental lilies don't spread as fast, but the bulbs do multiply over time. Stargazer is a hybrid. The seeds it makes may be sterile. If they do sprout, it is not likely to breed true from seed. And it takes several years to maturity, growing from seed.

They flower longer if you remove the spent flowers and the bulbs will multiply and produce more lilies (next year) which will be clones, therefore breeding true.

ESMcLane
Cool Member

oh that's so good to know- I thought the stargazers were like the rest- I guess not. thank you so much!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

?? They are like the rest.

"I don't think growing from seed is the best way to multiply any lilies, daylilies or oriental lilies. I dead head all my lilies. [including daylilies] The daylilies multiply very fast from the roots, aggressively so."

Most all of the oriental lilies are hybrids that will not reproduce from seed (at least not to breed true.

Return to “Perennials”