cgaynier
Newly Registered

Day Lillies

I have a few plants that only bloomed once and I wondered if maybe they are not exposed to enough sun? Also, I have one plant that has many seed seed pods (not sure this is what they are called?) on it and I wondered if I can take the black seeds enclosed inside and plant them in the ground?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Unless you have reblooming daylilies, they only bloom once a year. If you have the reblooming type, you should remove the seed pods, to encourage the plants to produce more flowers.

Depending on the type of daylilies you have, some cannot set viable seed. You can try to plant the seeds your plants produce, but there is no guarantee they'll grow. Even if the seeds do produce plants, they might not produce flowers that look like the ones the seeds came from, due to cross-pollination.

Most daylilies spread by underground runners.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Daylilies bloom over a period of a few weeks, new flowers each day. For most varieties once that is finished it is done for the year.

Kisal is right that seeds may or may not sprout or breed true. It's a slow way to get more daylilies anyway. Once established, they multiply rapidly. You can then just divide them and spread them around and you will very soon have more daylilies than you know what to do with.

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Yeah, dividing is the better way to go. Though I did plant some seeds just for fun last year. Slugs ate the seedlings, however. If you get some to grow, they don't bloom until the 2nd or 3rd year. Trick is getting them to stay alive that long...

Return to “Perennials”