saxtech
Newly Registered
Location: Huntington Beach / Fountain Valley, Calif. (Southern Calif)

Agapanthus- Lilly of the Nile Foliage turning yellow / white

About a month ago I transplanted some potted Agapanthus (Lilly of the Nile) that I got at Home Depot. I divided the plants into several separate plants and planted all in the garden.

Some have really nice green foliage but others have foliage that is turning yellow and also some that is turning white.

WHAT HAPPENED ?

Did I water too much or not enough ?

Do I need to feed it ? (if so - with what ?)

I really need some help here.

Thanks
Gary

saxtech
Newly Registered
Location: Huntington Beach / Fountain Valley, Calif. (Southern Calif)

Why has no one answered my concern ? Most forums I get an answer same day.

Hmmmmmmmm .... anyone out there ? (lol)

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Gary,

Not everyone grows these lovely plants as the climate isn't warm enough for many of us. If the yellowing and white is streaking it could be a virus that gets introduced during division. From this site:
https://www.plantzafrica.com/plantab/agapanthusgraskop.htm
Agapanthus plants have few pests. Occasionally thrips, red spider, mealy bugs, gall midge flies, snout beetles or caterpillars may attack them. Only in the case of severe infestations should they be sprayed as they invariably recover by themselves. Snails do find refuge under the leaves but do not feed on the plants. Botrytis may cause bud malformation and Agapanthus fungus could cause leaves to die back. Once more, only spray when essential. Approach your local Nurseryman for the best advice on what to spray. Frequent division of plants can lead to virus being introduced. This usually manifests itself in the leaves by means of yellow streaking. Such plant should be removed and destroyed.
Newt

Return to “Perennials”