Deb_NY

Plant a Hydrangea with a Mature Lilac (?)

I bought a Hydrangea with brown spots on the leaves for half price 8) with (I think) full Mophead blooms -- is it okay to plant it near the mature lilac? (very shady area)

Please tell me next year it will come back healthy.. or .. should I cut it back now?

Any info soooo welcome... Thanks

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

You can plant it on the side of the lilac where it gets more sun if that is possible. Probably brown because it wasn't watered properly so if you want to cut it back now I don't see a problem with that, if you don't mind looking at it. Just remember to throw in some bonemeal.

Deb_NY

Thank you Bullthistle.. There isn't more sun next to it. Is it correct that afternoon sun 'til evening is too strong for the Hydrangea? If yes -- may I plant it on the East side of a ten foot Rose of Sharon? The ROS branches out about six feet to the east and about four feet above the ground.. Maybe I can send a pic.
Let me know if I did this right..
[url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/35266873@N03/?saved=1[/url]

applestar
Mod

Hmm.. My random thought is that lilac is likely to be in soil tending to alkaline while the location for drought tolerant Rose od Sharon is not necessarily the ideal for hydrangea....

Deb_NY

We have 30 white pines and spruces on the property -- Within 30' of the Rose of Sharon is an Alberta Spruce (at least 28 yrs old). Does this help make the soil alkaline or give it high acidic value?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Hawaii must have been a 180 degrees opposite of Whiteface. Visit the North Pole? My parents lived in Hadley on the Sacandega. Born on S.I. It depends what color you want the hydrangea. Pink or blue. Blue is low pH but you can adjust the soil. I've seen some plants with both. I miss the Adirondacks in the summer. Personally I would plant it near the evergreens so it shows up from a distance instead of planting it by itself. Seems you have a large lay of the land. Just adjust the soil so you get the color that you want but also protect it from the heavy snowfall, remember they will not get as tall as the Rose of Sharon or Lilac unless you go with the P.G. On my trip to my lot someone in town planted them on both sides of the property line, but there is no snow. The seed heads are great when you build models, in college, they are the trees. Use your judgment and how you want to view it from the house then plant.

Deb_NY

It just so happens I'm heading to the north slope in a week (AK) ... Pinkish blue hue would be ultimately my choice.. but don't know if that's possible. Thank you :cool: I have considered all of the above.. I have new buds on the Hydrangea that's still in the pot..! :clap: Hey .. you know what ?! I have a Hydrangea (pee gee) tree doing well .. do you think if I put one on each side of it that would be okay? My potting shed will be delivered in 1 1/2 weeks and it is getting placed 10' - 15' east of the hydrangea tree. (Too much info?)

I just want to be able to see them all the time. I sit in the kitchen in front of our sliding glass doors .. looking east and south. The Rose of Sharon is South(in the side yard).

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

If you like where the P.G. is why not expand the view. Adjust the soil accordingly so one is blue and one pink.

Return to “Perennials”