jam8952

How long can anthoxanthum odoratum sweet vernal grass live.

I have a question about anthoxanthum odoratum sweet vernal grass.I know that this grass is not a native plant here in america but it stills grows here in america.And I was wondering how long can this grass live because they say its a perennial.So I would like to know how long can this grass species live.

applestar
Mod

I LOVE the scent of Sweet Vernal Grass!

I don't know the answer to your question, but a couple of years ago when I let the lawn grass grow out and flower/set seed to differentiate their species, I discovered to my delight a clump of Sweet Vernal Grass in the middle of the back yard. I moved it to an area I designated as Sunny Meadow Garden, and have been letting it grow there. It's doesn't spread much at all, being clump forming, so I let it go to seed. This spring, I discovered a tiny new clump in the SMG after it sent up a flower stalk, so I marked that off and am letting it grow as well. :D

jam8952

Applestar could you help me with a question I purchased the sweet vernal grass anthoxanthum odoratum seeds online at a online nusery I have recieved them and I could not believe how small the seeds were.But my question is when next bring comes how do I plant the tiny seeds I read on the internet that the hole doesn't need to be that deep but my problem is when I go to put them in the ground do I put one tiny seed in one hole or do I put several of the tiny seeds in one hole. I'm confused because there so tiny.thanks

applestar
Mod

Hmm... If I was purposefully growing a variety of grass from seed, I think I would start them in a container using weed-seed free soil mix. The reason for this is that it's very difficult to differentiate grass when they're small and it would be very easy to lose the desired grass among weeds.

Although I'm not particularly fond of it, this might call for one of those 72-cell trays. You could grow "plugs" this way.

Another method I might use is to plant the seeds in re-purposed tub that salad mixes come in. I generally prefer deeper container (at least 3" deep) to start seeds because the roots grow surprisingly long, and I prefer community seeding because the larger volume of soil mitigates drying out or overwatering.

You should find out too, if sweet vernal grass needs cold stratification to germinate.

jam8952

Hello again thanks for responding to my question as you can tell I know nothing about gardening thats why I come here for advice thanks again for the advice.I was thinking do you think them disposable plastic cups that you buy for a party that are clear or a red in color do you think these plastic cups would work well for the plant cell tray you recommended to me you can put holes in the bottom of the plastic cups for the drainage of water and use them as you plant cell tray also.I think the clear plastic cups would be better because you would be able to look threw and see if anything is happening or growing or forming yet.Would you recommend the disposable plastic cups for the plant cell trays.thanks again

jam8952

Hello there I have a question about growing sweet vernal grass seeds in a container because it also says on the internet that it can be grown as a house plant too because people love the sweet perfume it gives off.So I found me a container and I put some weed seed poting soil in the pot container and put me some seeds in the poting container.I have the container sitting on the kitchen table infront of the window so it can it some sunlight each day.So my question is is it to late to be growing them inside in a pot in the house this time of the year or what.I know if you want to plant the seeds outside it has to be after the last frost and has to be near spring because thats what it said on the package I received with the sweet vernal seeds inside.So can someone tell me if its to late of the year to be growing these seeds inside in a pot container.thanks.

Return to “Perennials”