BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Lantana Cutting Wilts?

I decided to give Lantana cuttings a go so took a couple cuttings off a family members bush and put them in water ( I know I know... water rooting isn't the best way to do it but I didn't know that when I started ) :D At first I didn't think they were going to root in water so I went back and got another cutting and put it in soil. Now the Lantanas I put in water are growing roots! ( Yay) :wink: But now I'm a bit confused about the one I put directly into soil. I put it in a well lit area under our canopy in the backyard. I'm a bit confused though because it seems to perk up over night and early morning then tends to wilt completely during the afternoon :? Should I be worried about this? Is it normal for Lantana to do that?

microcollie
Green Thumb

Remember that cuttings have no roots to take up water, so they need a constant supply of moisture. During the day, any light or breeze can evaporate moisture away from the cuttings, causing them to wilt. They can regain moisture overnight when the dewpoint is higher. Try either drip irrigation if it's practical, watering a couple times a day, or providing more shade and wind protection for a couple weeks until your cuttings have enough roots to support their needs from the soil. Then you'll have to slowly introduce them to stronger sun and less water so as not to shock or scorch them.
Another note. I've rooted lantana in water and then had them die as soon as they were in soil. I might have let them go too long before getting them in soil. Pot up your cuttings from the water soon after they have developed roots.
Good luck.

Return to “Perennials”