kitty-lover

Colonial Mint

Can anyone tell me if all mints are edible? I have "Colonial Mint " but am unable to find out, if this is like the peppermint that is edible. It's doing so much better than the my peppermint, and would make alot of iced tea. Any help here???

S. Zimmerman
Illinois

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi KittyLover,

I couldn't find any info with the name Colonial mint. Do you have another name for it?

Newt

kitty-lover

No, this was the only name it had when I bought it. Do you know if all mints are edible?

Newt
Greener Thumb

I really don't know. The mint family is a very large family of plants. If you still have the tag you might want to contact the grower.

Newt

kitty-lover

Thanks for all your help but, I don't have the tag :(

Sue
Illinois

decam0

Does it have a minty smell?

kitty-lover

Yes it does. And it looks like mint. The leaves are somewhat larger than peppermint and more krinkly.

femlow

Not all mint is edible and you probably don't want to make tea out of all of them. For example pennyroyal (which is very spearminty) can be used for medicinal purposes, but it can be quite toxic and can cause miscarraiges and serious gastro-intestinal problems and the like and should not be used without professional supervision. Also, the mint family is huge, and includes things like salvia, which you won't want to make tea out of unless you want to have an interesting hour or so to follow. Check with the place you bought it if you can for a scientific name, or take it to any nursery with trained staff and they might be able to help you, but you are better off keeping your cup in the cupboard until you figure out what it actually is.

fem

Return to “Perennials”