coasterqueen

Clematis help please

I bought a clematis vine a few weeks ago from my local nursery. I can't remember the name but it will produce small purple-like flowers. Anyways I bought it so it would vine around my mailbox. I was told to plant it by the mailbox, vine the existing vines around it and tie them to the post with pantyhose so I don't damage the vines. Well it doesn't really look like it's doing anything. I figured it would start vine-ing a bit, but it looks pretty limp/droopy. Maybe I'm not watering enough or could it be in a shock phase? I really don't want to lose this thing because it cost me well over $20 for it. Any thoughts?

Gardena

if summar heat is intense, it can go into dorment for awhile until cool down abit... or it looks leggy it maybe need more sunlight?
it could be in replanting shock too. I'd give more tme to see how it goes :D

coasterqueen

Thanks. It definitely gets enough sun, I know that. I wondered about transplant shock and yes the heat is really intense right now. I'll continue to watch over it and hope it makes it.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Clematis take their time establishing their root system once transplanted. It could be a year or two before you see any substantial growth. Patience is definately needed with these plants. Here's some helpful growing info.
https://www.rainyside.com/ornamentals/clematis_care.html
https://clematis.org/home.html

Newt

decam0

Clematis like their heads in the sun and their roots in the shade, so put a stone slab or gravel or a low growing plant over the root area.

Newt
Greener Thumb

With no disrespect to Decam0, putting a stone or stone slab over the roots will compress the soil and keep needed moisture away, gravel does not add nutrients to the soil and planting other plants on top of the root zone will only compete with the roots of the clematis for moisture and nutrients. The idea is good so planting something nearby that will shade the root zone is good.

The links I gave have lots of helpful info.
Newt

coasterqueen

I do have river rock planted around it but that's because we do not use mulch we use rock. But the rocks aren't real big.

constance

Sedum is a good choice to plant around the base of your clematis. That's what my mother always used, and her clematis were beautiful.
Be sure and keep the plant well watered until it gets going.

Return to “Perennials”