tylerandthewall
Newly Registered

Help identifying a plant.. -- Cosmos

Ok, so I just picked up gardening as a hobby and planted a few things. I can identify all of them but one and I was wondering if you guys/girls could help me? Picture of the mystery plant is below. Thanks a bunch!
[img]https://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5249/img0165ta.jpg[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Looks like an asparagus seedling to me. :)

tylerandthewall
Newly Registered

No, I don't think so.... It came out of a random flower pack. But I could be wrong. So far it's gotten significantly taller but still no flowers or anything. Any other ideas anyone?

shadowsmom

Came out of a random flower pack? Looks like it could be a cosmo plant. They are often included in random seed packs. They frequently reseed themselves.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup, I think you got it, cosmos!

https://www.SPAM - MEMBERS: PLEASE REPORT THIS POST.com/plants/cosmos-images-large-146654/

peony
Newly Registered

another vote for cosmos

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

If they re-seed themselves, would they come through a really cold winter(Alberta Canada) and live to come back in the spring? The seeds I mean?

microcollie
Green Thumb

I planted some cosmos years ago (6? 7?) here in my zone 4 Western Mass. garden, and am still enjoying their offspring today. I just stop deadheading toward the end of the season, let the last of the flowers go to seed, then cut them down after the 1st frost, leaving the dead heads where I hope to get new plants next year.
I guess that the other option would be to save the seeds in an envelope and plant them in the spring.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Thanks for the information. I think I will try and save some seeds, just in case.----How do you find out what zone you are in???? I still have NO idea what the Zone is here?--Anybody???? :?:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Green Mantis wrote:Thanks for the information. I think I will try and save some seeds, just in case.----How do you find out what zone you are in???? I still have NO idea what the Zone is here?--Anybody???? :?:
Here's a map:

https://www.veseys.com/ca/en/learn/reference/hardinesszones/alberta?veseys=8jh8at33poduok31mpf7vgn692

looks like, depending on where in Alberta Bowden is, it could be anywhere from ZERO (! ouch!) to 3. Very cold, in other words and with a very short growing season. Hope you have a heated greenhouse!

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

No I don't have a heated greenhouse, but that's DEFINATELY top on my wish list! A nice big one, Ha!!!! Actually it can get to minus 40 here sometimes!!!---NOT nice at all! Makes me wonder, WHY??? we live here, when there are so many nice warm sunny places in the world! LOL!!! NOT looking forward to winter at all! We have such long ones here. This year all the stores had their plants for sale and it SNOWED in May. So many plants were lost and it made the season so late. I just hope my stuff out there gets acclimatized before it freezes.

Return to “Perennials”