gtn193
Newly Registered

mystery

help trying to find out why my trumpet vine will not bloom,but grows like a weed. I can't figure out why ,please help. :?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Do you fertilize it? If you do, does the fertilizer have a high nitrogen content? Giving a plant a lot of nitrogen will produce rampant foliage growth at the expense of flowers ... not that trumpet vines don't grow like weeds anyway! :lol:

Do you have a picture of your trumpet vine that you could post for us? Instructions for posting pictures can be found [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724]here[/url] if you need them. :)

gtn193
Newly Registered

Kisal wrote:Do you fertilize it? If you do, does the fertilizer have a high nitrogen content? Giving a plant a lot of nitrogen will produce rampant foliage growth at the expense of flowers ... not that trumpet vines don't grow like weeds anyway! :lol:

Do you have a picture of your trumpet vine that you could post for us? Instructions for posting pictures can be found [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724]here[/url] if you need them. :)
no, in fact I've never fertilized this plant,but my brother in-law has the same issue with his trumpet vine.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

No fertilizer on things like grass, that may be growing close to the vine? I've never had a problem with mine.

Do you prune it, to keep it under control? Trumpet vines bloom on new growth, so if you prune it in the spring, you might be cutting off the buds.

The only other thing I can suggest is that, according to what I've read, they have to be around 4 to 7 years old before they bloom. Is yours, perhaps, a young plant?

That about exhausts what I can offer regarding trumpet vine ... except to keep it far away from your house. It got under the shingles on one side of my house, and I had to have them all removed in order to get the plant out. The roots actually grow into the wood. It was a very expensive lesson for me. :(

I love my trumpet vines, but I strictly confine them to the chain-link fence now. :!:

Return to “Perennials”