Gardentime

Ornamental Grasses

Hello, I just have two quick questions about ornamental grasses.

We have 17 grasses of the Miscanthus family in our yard and all of them except two are first or second year plants. The varieties we have planted are: M. Adagio, Gracillimus, Morning Light, Strictus, and Variegatus.

My Questions:

1) How many years will it take for these grasses to reach mature size?

2) Is there anything I can do or give these grasses to make them grow faster and stronger?

If not, thanks anyway.

Pineville

I would just be patient; Miscanthus grows rapidly once established. Miscanthus is somewhat invasive, so don't worry about it not growing fast enough or getting established. You'll have more than you want in a few years.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I'm with Pineville; the Miscanthus planted at Mom's decades back hgas started throwing viable seed and I have to chase it a bit when I am there. Mom's in Old Lyme, Gardentime...

You could fertilize, but I wouldn't go there; in fact I no longer use this grass as I have seen pics of how it grows in it's native Japan; a monocultural swath that fills the bottoms of valleys. It is already on invasive lists in some more southern states (I have seen it growing on the side of the highway just outside Philadelphia and around DC...)

HG

Gardentime

I will just wait then. There is a new house near me where the owners planted some 'gracillimus' when they moved in. The grass is beautiful and mature. Did I mention they planted it only 3 years ago? I can't wait 'til all of my grasses mature!

To The Helpful Gardener: I will be getting together with friends in Old Lyme today on the water. Not exactly the World's best beach day, but it's been years since I've visited Old Lyme, so I am excited.

Once again, thanks again for the quick responses.

P.s. Thank goodness I didn't apply fertilizer to my grasses (I hear they can die from that sometimes).

Return to “Perennials”