mbrem

What should I plant here?

I have a flower bed that has Hydrangeas, and Ferns. It's mostly shade, does get some sun but is almost always really damp. I also have some Autumn Sage in there right now because I didn't pay much attention and just bought a third type of plant that would look pretty. As discussed on another post, the sage is not doing very well, I may not have acted fasted enough if I transplant them this weekend. What can I put in in place of the sage though? Thanks!

alcea
Newly Registered

Astilbe may work for your shady damp area. Sometimes called false spirea. Also like Japanese iris.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Siberian Iris would do great although it does prefer some sunlight, hosta, bleeding heart, etc.

mbrem

Thank you for the suggestions! Which of those plants are easiest to care for? I'm having a baby in a month and simply don't feel up to a lot of care right now. Also, do any those take off really fast? We are moving in August and would like the garden to look as established as possible.

Sorry about all the questions! I usually just like to plant roses since they're so hardy but we already have one flower bed of nothing but roses and lavender, so I thought some variety would make it look nice.

applestar
Mod

In that case, I suggest you get something that flowers all summer long rather than short term. Hmm... what would fit? Annuals may provide a more mature look.... What kind of height are you wanting? What color flower?

Lobelia?
Eupatorium coelestinum?
Coleus?
Fuchsia?
Impatiens?
Caladiums?

mbrem

I want something that won't be dwarfed in size by the ferns and hydrangeas since they're all either fairly tall or will get tall. I'd prefer blue, purple or white flowers, although our hydrangeas are going pink because of the soil so pink is now an option. Now, I always thought annual meant it only lives one year, am I wrong in thinking this?

angel66rose
Newly Registered

I agree that astilbe would probably be a good choice. It wouldn't be dwarfed in size by the ferns either. I have a red type....montgomery or something like that...cannot remember exactly what name...but it grows pretty fast and does well in the shade.

Sillyheart
Newly Registered

Hi - U think the astilbe would work well they are not invasive and the flower can be a lovely pink to go with the other plants. The other plant that is always good in shade is hosta. Mainly grown for it's beautiufl leaves, but they do flower, often purple. Happy gardening!! :lol:

applestar
Mod

mbrem wrote:I want something that won't be dwarfed in size by the ferns and hydrangeas since they're all either fairly tall or will get tall. I'd prefer blue, purple or white flowers, although our hydrangeas are going pink because of the soil so pink is now an option. Now, I always thought annual meant it only lives one year, am I wrong in thinking this?
Sorry for delayed response about this I forgot about this thread until it was bumped -- I guess it slipped my mind that you posted in the Perennials Forum :lol: but the point of the annuals is that they would grow rapidly, fill in the space, and look mature in a short amount of time. I thought you might want that if you're moving in August.

What time of the year did you want the bloom?

mypetalpress

Hardy fuchsias would be nice I think and they come in shades of pink and different heights and attract hummingbirds and start blooming now all the way through to frost. No maintence either, I love mine. Cheryl

Return to “Perennials”