miagardener

Questions about ALYSSUM

I have a border of alyssum around my garden, it was in constant bloom until about a week ago, should I expect the flowers to all come back? Also, how do I collect seeds from the alyssum? I planted them all from seed so I know what they look like but haven't found any yet although I haven't searched too much in my tropical jungle garden. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

miagardener wrote:I have a border of alyssum around my garden, it was in constant bloom until about a week ago, should I expect the flowers to all come back? No, if you shear it, which is go over it with a scissors and cut all the spent flowers off, it will probably rebloom one more time later, but probably not as much as the first time. But if you do that, you won't get seeds to collect. If you let it set seeds, then it won't rebloom. So you have to decide which you want more, more flowers or seeds. :? Course you can shear it, the let the second set of flowers go to seed. You won't get as many. Also, how do I collect seeds from the alyssum? I planted them all from seed so I know what they look like but haven't found any yet although I haven't searched too much in my tropical jungle garden. :) You know what the seeds look like, but you are looking for seed pods, which look about like the below, with two seeds to a pod:

https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4001/4181894557_54cbe3399f.jpg RBG

miagardener

Thanks for the reply, I will keep my eye out for the seed pods and then just plant more. :)

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I think alyssum tends to poop in the heat. If you keep the plants alive they may bloom again come fall, just don't know.

Return to “Perennials”