Gardena

Whiteflies on Fushias, flowering maple... :(

I'm having whitefly problem on 2 fushias and Flowering maple next to each other. First I sprayed with bug spray, I tried systematic spray, now I have yellow sticky papers all over. they don't seem to reduce bugs :(
Any idea how I get rid of them please?

meesh
Cool Member

Which systemic spray did you use? Whiteflies are tough, the best I've found is Bayer Rose and Flower spray.

Gardena

I used Ortho systemic insect killer. My fushias also have problem with fushia gull. duh.

meesh
Cool Member

White flies can actually be responsible for the gall. They spread it.
You'll need a fungicide. And pick off all the infected leaves(don't put them in the composter).

Gardena

Yes so I heard. everytmie new shoots comes out are deformed. I keep clipping them. Fushias lost leaves half of below due to whiteflies. GRR
Now I found them on my tomato in container.
Foxgloves and roses, gereniums have spidermites problem.
I sprayed them again :( I hate bugs.

constance

All bugs love fuschias, and white flies especially love flowering maples, tomato plants, lantana...anything with a papery leaf.
White flies can be controlled with insecticidal soap. Just be sure to spray the undersides of the leaves. Cut the plant back and remove any refuse around the bottom of the plant before spraying.
Spidermites are another story. They multiply at a rate of 30,000 per minute, are hard to see, and by the time you do see them, it's often too late for the plant.
There are special sprays to use for your roses. For your foxgloves and geraniums, I recommend that you prune them sharply and spray with Orthene, or another insecticide that targets spider mites. Burn the trimmed foliage and wash your hands before handling another plant.
When I found spider mites in the greenhouse, I either isolated the infected plants or threw them away, pots and all.

Gardena

Thank you for more info ><
oh yeah you should see whiteflies on flowering maples... YUK.

Return to “Perennials”