newcastlemom
Newly Registered

Black Calla Lillies help

I have moved to my grandparents home where everything was negleted for years. Everyone in the family loves Grandma's black calla lilies, but they are few, finding them here and there. I have dug them up after iding them and put them in a pot. Please don't tell me that was wrong. I have harvested the large cone at the end of the blooming season. I realize these are the seeds. The cone is very plump and almost yellow/green. Can I plant the cone in a pot now or should I wait? I thought about planting the cone in a pot now and keep in my sunny window. My lillies bloom in the early spring (Northern Ca) and nearly done by May. That's it for the year. I would like to grow additional lillies and give them to family members. Any suggestions would be helpful.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I'm no Calla Lily expert by any means but, I do love to plant seeds and take cuttings and grow them up.

Anyway, what I would do is take the seeds from the cone and individually plant them in little pots outside and water them regularly. Then, you can plant the seedlings around the yard once they come up.

Just so you are aware, there is no gaurantee that the seeds will produce the lillies that your grandma grew. The seeds will be variations on the parent plants.

meesh
Cool Member

You must allow the seedheads to dry on the plant before harvesting. And remember they are very toxic.

Return to “Perennials”