MAGES24
Newly Registered

PURPLE FOUNTAIN GRASS

I CUT BACK MY PURPLE FOUNTAIN GRASS ALMOST 2 MONTHS AGO, WHEN CAN I EXPECT TO SEE SOME GROWTH. I LOOKED UP WHEN I SHOULD PRUNE THIS AS THIS IS THE FIRST YEAR WE HAVE HAD THIS PLANT. I WAS TOLD TO PRUNE BACK IN EARLY SPRING, BUT NOTHING IS HAPPENING NOW.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Welcome to the forum, Mage! :)

My understanding is that Purple Fountain Grass is not hardy in Ohio. It is perennial only in areas that don't get colder than 20º F. In other areas, it must be treated as an annual, which means you would need to replant it every year. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :(

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

MAGES24 wrote:If the Purple Fountain Grass is not hardy in Ohio, what could I get to plant that would come up every year that is a similar plant.
I don't really know, because I don't know what hardiness zone you're in. You might try Perennial Fountain Grass, Pennisetum alopecuroides. It's hardy in zones 5 to 9, whereas Purple Fountain Grass is only hardy in zones 9 to 10. (The lower the zone number, the colder the area.) There's some information and a pic at this site:

https://urbanext.illinois.edu/grasses/perennial_fountain_grass.html

Feather Reed Grass, Calamagrostis x acutiflora 'Karl Foerster' is hardy to zone 4.

There's a list of ornamental grasses at this site. Just click on the name to see a picture and information, including the zone range in which it's hardy.

https://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/ornamental_grass/common_names.html

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Mason OH is near me, here in Cincinnati, so zone 6b.

Welcome fellow Ohio gardener!

MAGES24
Newly Registered

Thanks a lot that will be helpful.

Return to “Perennials”