shaefins

Any help for getting rid of a plant?

:lol:

Not sure how the board will feel about this, but I'm looking for help getting rid of the spiderwort that is cropping up *everywhere* in my yard. When I moved here 7 years ago, there was none. Then one or two popped up a few years later. Now? They're everywhere! And you can't pull them by hand! Not to mention, the like to grow in places I can't easily dig them out: right up against the foundation of my house, out from under the porch steps, out from under the concrete sidewalk pavers, etc.

I'd rather not use a chemical to kill them....but I'm "thisclose" to doing it, just because I'm so *vexed* by them! Help me, please! :evil:

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

:x Go on we won't look.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You can always pour vinegar and/or boiling water on them...

But they are so pretty! I'm still encouraging more to grow in my yard (unlike the irises and black eyed susans, some of which are likely to go in the compost pile, because they are multiplying out of control).

shaefins

rainbowgardener wrote:I'm still encouraging more to grow in my yard (unlike the irises and black eyed susans, some of which are likely to go in the compost pile, because they are multiplying out of control).
Figures! I'd love to have irises instead of the spiderwort. I was *sure* they were a true weed...until I saw them for sale at Home Depot a year ago. :lol: You really find them attractive? I can't *stand* them. Maybe if they were somewhere decent, but they come up in all the wrong places.

I'll try the boiling water. Can't hurt, might help! If I could get them out and send them to you, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Go ahead with the boiling water. I've had success using it against weeds in the sidewalk and in pavement. A good weed tool, like a dandelion fork, also helps.

Cynthia H.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Tradescantia ohiensis and Tradescantia virginiana are both edible. Just putting that out there... One of the few wild foraged plant flavors that don't really change for the worse after blooming. Not something I eat all that often, though widely available.

As with most weeds, or plants that grow where they aren't wanted, you need to cut them down before they bloom. Once they've established a plant they will continue to grow from that cluster, no matter how often you mow or hack down. What they will sometimes do is start to grow prostrate or flat along the ground which is bad news for you. The roots aren't that deep or tenacious, but any part of the stem can root. So one that flattens out like that will soon be a field of them.

Persistence on your part has to be greater than the plant's persistence. Know where your pesky spiderworts are, and keep ripping out any new growth. Every time you see a bit of green, it's nourishing the roots. You could try solarizing those specific spots, by pegging black plastic over them after you've cut them down. That will kill anything growing there, and may damage shallow rooted shrubs, too.

Return to “Perennials”