ceveb01
Newly Registered

Sick Rose Mallow

I have 2 Rose Mallow that are both seemingly being affected by the same thing. They are usually very robust, with tall stalks. The stalks usually need some staking, but are otherwise pretty sturdy.

This year, all my stalks on each plant are laying on the ground. They seem to be very limp. The leaves are still growing, but the stalks are now beginning to twist and curve. Staking isn't doing any good, because they just keep leaning over.

The plant has to be experiencing some kind of disease, but I have never seen this before.

Any ideas on what may be wrong with them?
Thanks for the help !! :roll:

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Unless you can find signs of an infection, it sounds like you have a nutrient deficiency in the soil. For a short term fix, I would add diluted liquid fish fertilizer to the soil. For a long term fix, in conjunction with the liquid fertilizer I would add mulched leaves and manure or just compost. Of course, if you use a sheet composting method (as is mulched leaves and manure) you will be able to know exactly what nutrients are going into the soil.

We have a lot of threads on ammending nutrient depleted soil in the organic forum.

ceveb01
Newly Registered

Appreciate the help!
I will begin fertilizing right away and see what happens.

A nutrient deficiency I can handle much better than a virus!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Great, good luck with your plants

Return to “Perennials”