Binkalette

I'm impressed.

Last fall my mother in law gave me some store bought daffodil and tulip bulbs. I didn't have much time at all before the snow was going to start falling, so I dug up a small patch along the side of the house and stuck them in there. I didn't think they would even stand a chance to grow as the soil there was SOLID clay and full of rocks (I had a very hard time digging). A week later it snowed and remained snow covered until this spring.

I had almost forgotten that I even planted them there because I had such little faith that they would be able to grow in such a bad spot.. but to my surprise, I now have beautiful tulips and daffodils springing up along side the house!

It's funny how these plants that I just plopped into the ground last minute are flourishing this spring, while my fern peony and the rose bush I planted and fussed over all last year, preparing them for their first winter have not come back. :( Sometimes I think my plants would be better off with out me.

mtmickey

tulips, daffodils and iris are extremely hardy plants. I have tons of iris and when I moved 4 years ago, I moved a bunch of them with me. I got many in the ground (very hard clay), but not all. The ones that didn't get in the ground that first year were in plastic tubs which filled with snow over the winter. The next spring they were doing just as well as the ones in the ground. Amazingly hardy.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Bulbs are interesting. The next year's flower and leaves are already formed inside the bulb at the time it's planted. I've seen them bloom just laying on the surface of the soil, as long as they get moisture and aren't baked by the sun. :lol:

Just allow the foliage to stay on the plant until it dies down. That's the time when the next little flower is being formed and the food supply to support it is being stored.

Like little miracles! :)

Return to “Perennials”