Javajuice

Did I cut back to much last fall?

Hello everyone. This is my first post here! I was hoping to get a little help.

Year before last I bought some purple Salvia plant from Home Depot, that did really well the second year. I really loved it.

I don't remember how I cutback after it died for the season the first time. But last time I cut it all the way to the node. I think I killed it! Its not starting to grow. I'm in Utah, and it is still a little cold, but it looks dead........

Am I being impatient or was that not a good idea to cut it.

Thanks in Advance!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Welcome to The Helpful Gardener forum! Glad to have you here with us! :)

In the fall, the entire plant should be cut back, but never down to where there are no leaves.

It's early days yet. Give it a bit more time. Salvia is known to be a late spring bloomer. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, it comes back from the roots, so should be ok. Summer bloomers come out of dormancy later in the spring than spring bloomers. Be patient!

My purple salvia does have a nice clump of basal leaves right now, but I have no idea how my climate compares to yours. We've had a lot of lovely spring weather and no snow or frost for most of a month.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Give it time, don't give up!
I admit to having messy or interesting winter garden areas. I cut back some perennials some, usually leave at least a few inches of old stalk, in part as a marker.
Some iffy ones I leave the whole stalk. Iffy I mean by may winter. I had heard once, perhaps just a whacky notion, that cutting those back will leave hollow tubes. The rain can get in and freeze, that not good. Reminds me that I really need to clean up the Mexican Salvia in the front bed as it is looking nasty with new growth all around!

Javajuice

Very nice, thanks for all the great responses. Good to know its a late bloomer! I really hope it makes it, fabulous plant. Thanks again! Ill have more care next year if it makes it.

Return to “Perennials”