jill
Newly Registered

Weed control

Very novice gardener here...I recently moved in to a new house that is surrounded by several large flowerbeds that are planted with various perennials. Right now I am having a problem with clover growing in the beds. Is there a product I can apply to kill the clover that will not damage the desirable plants, or is hand weeding the only solution? It comes back faster than I can remove it. Thanks for your help!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

In short no. You can try vinegar but, be careful where you pour the vinegar as it can also be hard on the established plants.

Though, the best thing that you can do with clover is to turn it into the soil and break it up a bit. This will add Nitrogen and other nutrients to the soil. (if you really want to get rid of it)

Clover also makes a nice ground cover and will protect your soil from erosion, and feed the soil nitrogen in the form of nitrates.

lovetogarden

Mulching over the growing clover is an excellent option. I am a big fan of the Ruth Stout mulch method. It saves a lot of back breaking weeding.

If you do get desperate, a solution of vinegar/salt sprayed on the clover will kill it, but this is something you would want to do in moderation as this solution is not good for the soil flora.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I have found that when I have mulched over clover that it simply grows up through the mulch.

What are other peoples experiences with this?

Dedee

I happen to like how clover looks so I leave some and I just pull it up where I don't want it.
I use a large meat fork ( with two large tines ) I can push it in the ground where the weed is and twist it and the roots of the weeds come right up. You got to get the roots out.

Irish Gardener
Newly Registered

If clover is the problem it may point to an infertile soil.
Clover starts to take over when nitrogen is low.
In fact clover manufactures its own nitrogen from the air.

Increasing the fertility level of your soil through compost application or the use of artificial slow release fertilisers will help.

Gardena

Boy that sounds bad... I got some clover problem too in my flower beding.

Return to “Perennials”