bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Is this callicarpa. North of Raleigh, NC in a field

[img]https://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg284/bullthistle2008/callicarpa.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sure looks like it!

Here's a callicarpa picture:

https://www.pendernursery.com/Images/Callicarpa-dichotoma-%27Issai.jpg

Your picture is what happens in winter, after the leaves drop off, the berries persist for a long time.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Thanks. I was shocked when I came across it since it is the first growth of a cleared lot. Never would have noticed it in the summer.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It is pretty amazing... I've never seen it growing wild. I have one in my front yard, that has been there for maybe five years now. It has gotten quite big and keep cutting it back, but it has never shown the least sign of spreading or popping up from seed anywhere else.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Maybe not in OH but I am finding many native plants in NC after I had the lot bulldozed although many could be classified as weeds like the pine behind the callicarpa and even the bulbs the squirels dug up and planted elsewhere or that deer enjoy munching on grape hyacinth leaves, which will be a major problem after I build, hopefully, which compound mightily in NC even just dropping a bulb in my lawn when transplanting so I wait until the last moment of my first spring cutting after fertiziling with Turf Builder. I never got that living south of Lake Ontario in NY but I did have horseradish growing wildly in muck which the cows enjoyed grazing on in the summer. Although the summers here can be brutal, humidity, spring and fall can be an awakening if one looks beyond their nose.

Return to “Perennials”