mewlee
Newly Registered

Flowers first timer~

I've never done any gardening, but I want to plant flowers in my parents front yard. We have a dirt bed that runs along the edge of our house. Right now, it's got camelia plants in it but they've grown really tall and I don't really like how it looks.

We've got a dark brown house and I'd really love to liven it up with a splash of color. I'm thinking tulips all along the sides would really make it beautiful. It's too late for me to plant tulips now though and I was wondering, what can I plant now? I'd really like for my house to be surrounded by flowers year round! Can you guys give me ideas of things I can plant to keep my house colorful all year? I don't have a lot of time, so I don't want to have to replant things every month!

I'm so new to this, so I'm not really sure how flowers work. Any help will be greatly appreciated! :)

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Yes plant the bulbs in the fall and if you have Costco they have great deals, but right now there are loads of perennials you can get so go to www.perennials.com where you can put in your zone and what colors you are looking for, what time of year they bloom, I believe and even the height. Chose between evergreen and deciduous. You'll spend hours learning.

Rose White

I love spring bulbs, from the early snowdrops to tall tulips blooming the end of May. Check out the stores selling blooming hyacinths and tulips in pots around May when they start dying back. They sell for 50 cents or a dollar each and are colossal blooms. Store them in a dry place and be sure not to cut off the leaves as the bulbs get nutrition from the leaves. Then you can plant them in the fall and enjoy them every year.

I always plant the sweetest hyacinths and star gazer lillies near the walkway so that I can appreciate their fragrance. And the tulips I plant outside by kitchen window to sit and enjoy them, especially with the bird feeder hanging over them.

Enjoy! :flower:

Return to “Perennials”