my_secret_garden
Cool Member

Ageratum Hawaii Blue Help?

Hi everybody. I picked up these really pretty ageratum Hawaii Blue bedding flowers about a week ago to plant in my front yard. The tag said that they could be planted in full sun so I figured that would be great because I was putting them out somewhere where there was no shade until nighttime. I didn't know anything about Ageratum. I planted them in front and gave them plenty of water but the sun seems to be wilting them. Should I go ahead and transplant these somewhere shady? I had half of them still in my backyard in partial sun/shade and they are still in their bedding plastic pots and they look great. Do they just not actually tollerate the full sun like the tag says or do you think I am doing something else wrong? Is it too late to try to transplant them somewhere else now that they seem to be wilting? :(

Also, does anyone have some suggestions of plants or flowers that WILL tollerate full sun well? I live in zone 5 in Iowa. I need a nice small bush or bushy plant and several smaller plants or flowers that will tollerate the sun and some heat/humidity this summer. Thanks in advance!!!

constance

This probably comes too late now, but ageratum can, indeed, take full sun, but they need plenty of water. They are beautiful planted in combination with red salvia and yellow marigolds.

Gardena

I have same ones planted in pots in part-shade spot.
They seem not growing greatly but keeps flowing even tho its only like 5inches high ROFL.

gbronner
Newly Registered

If you are planting them close to the house and the house faces a southern exposure you are throwing a lot of heat at them bouncing off the house as well.

If you are looking for some great plants for a sunny bed I would suggest Yarrow or Cone Flowers they both do well and can tolerate sun and heat.

Glenn Bronner
My Home Page
https://glenns-garden.com

https://www.gardening-tips-perennials.com/fullsunperennials.html here is a link to somer full perennials if you want perennials tring to help

Return to “Perennials”