GeorgiaGirl

Clematis and wisteria on same trellis: bad idea?

I have a trellis that I'm training American wisteria to grow on, and was thinking of having clematis grow up it too (assuming they bloom at different times??).

Is that a bad idea? Will they make the trellis too heavy or otherwise compete with each other with ill effect?

Pineville

American Wisteria is a very nice, under-utilized plant. While it is more restrained than the Japanese or Chinese Wisteria, it is still very aggressive and would out-compete most clematis. If you go with this combination, consider using Clematis ternifolia (Sweet Autumn Clematis), a very aggressive vine that should 'play nice' with the Wisteria. Both plants are fragrant and could be a very nice combination

GeorgiaGirl

Thank you for the recommendation! and yes, as much as I love wisteria in bloom, I knew there was NO WAY I would install a Chinese or Japanese wisteria... I do plan to keep the American one in check with heavy pruning, but that will be a cake walk compared to my battle with the wild blackberries (a.k.a. Thorny Spawn of Satan, as I affectionately call it).

Return to “Perennials”