genesis636
Newly Registered

daylily transplant question..

PLease keep in mind when reading this--I am NOT an avid gardener and do not know ANYTHING about gardening. I actually had to search what an annual and perenial were......geesh!

Anyways, I had some daylilys growing around me and my neighbors mailbox, well she dug them up to makae it look better and I decided I would try to transplant them near my front deck. She dug them out in two large chunks of soil with around 15 stalks(?) in each clump, then clipped them down to only about 2" tall. How do I transplant them? Can I seperate each bulb and line them up against my deck or do I need to keep them in the bunches they are already in, or what? Thank yOu guys! I have been told that they are very hardy flowers so I shouldn't have a problem with them, thank goodness!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Daylilies are very hardy and will survive pretty much anything you do to them. But if you were to separate them out and line them up, you would have an effect like a picket fence, very soldierly, and the plants would be quite thin and spindly for the first year or two.

It will be much more full and natural looking if you just plant some clumps. Your clumps that have 15 stalks could be divided into anywhere from two to four smaller clumps, depending on how it naturally splits.

Nature never lines things up.

genesis636
Newly Registered

thank u, I ill plants small clusters then, and now that I look at them closer, there are well over a hundred......yikes!

tahota
Newly Registered

The smaller you divide the clumps the more care you need to give each plant until it is established. If you leave larger clumps you will be less likely to loose any and they will re-bound much quicker.

Return to “Perennials”