andrea922

dividing/transplanting questions

I'm about to take on a pretty big project by cutting a new flower bed. My hope is to divide many of my own existing perennials, as well as some from my mother's house and from friends. I have several questions about the timing of all this. FYI I'm in CT Zone 6.

1. Is it too late in the season to transplant shrubs? I have two weigela in front of my house I want to move to the new bed. I also have two euonymus I want to put there. Should I move these now or in spring?

2. Most perennials I know what to do with, but I am unsure of when and how to divide and transplant lithodora. It has spread extremely rapidly, I just planted in in June, and I would love to have some in the new bed.

3. What would you say is the cut off date for dividing and transplanting perennials in my zone? I would hate to lose anything. Please let me know if there are any kinds in particular that I should NOT move now.

I hope my post isn't too long-winded! I worked so hard on my perennial gardens this year, as they have finally taken off (August marked 2 years since i've been in my house) and my soil is so rich here, that things have already gotten too big for their locations. I just want to make sure I do this right so I don't ruin what I've already accomplished!!
Thanks so much for your help!!
Andrea :)

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I don't know if it is done right or not, but I transplant shrubs during cold weather, during late fall or late winter. I also divide perennials when they are dormant except for the very vigorous ones like day lilies and irises which are almost impossible to kill. I'll divide those bulb plants about anytime of the year and they do just fine. When tranplanting shrubs or small trees it usually helps to give them a hard prune of at least 1/3 of the top growth, so that too much demand is not placed on the reduced root system.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

Return to “Perennials”