LondonGardener

Looking for a fast-growing climbing plant

I'm in Southwestern Ontario, first of all so I guess that puts me on Zone 5?

Anyway I am looking for a fast-growing climbing plant to place against an arbor at the back of my house. It gets about 6 hours of sun each day and the soil is good. I have no experience with climbers!

We won't be in this house forever so I would love to find something that will grow quickly so I can begin to enjoy it. I would prefer to stay away from anything overly invasive (eg. ivy).

Someone on another board I go to suggested Kiwi.

Any other thoughts?

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Silver Lace Vine "Polygonum Aubertii" is a very fast grower. The triangular shaped leaves first emerge in a reddish color, and then turn to a bright green. It is covered with beautiful 6" clusters of very fragrant small white flowers forming a haze (hence the name "Silver Lace") in summer. It needs full sun to partial shade, and is quite adaptable to most soils. It is hardy from Zone 4b to 8b, but even if it freezes to the ground (which mine has done) it returns beautifully every year.
It's a gorgeous vine when it is out in bloom, and even pretty when it is not! :wink:

Val

LondonGardener

Wow, that's so pretty! I just googled up some images. I love it! Thanks for the tip. :D

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Not a problem! That's what we're all about! Hope you enjoy it! :wink:

Val

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hey Val, how fast do Clematis grow? If I remember, it tooks a couple of years for the one at my moms place to become really prolific.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Yes, for the most part, they take 2-3 years to get firmly established and prolific. Although, sometimes you luck out and get a particularly rigourous one. Jackmanni is still the hardiest and fastest to establish, but there are so many pretty ones now to choose from as well. :wink:

Val

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I really like the bushiness of a clematis vine, more like a climbing bush that what someone would normally think of as a vine. Thanks for the info Val.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

No problem! I really like them too. I have several varieties around the yard, and it amazing how different each one can be. :wink:

Val

id try trumpet vine englih ivy boston ivy the trumpet vine is really nice it has orange flowers and attracts the humming birds they all grow pretty fast

Newt
Greener Thumb

Not sure about zone 5 for trumpet vine, but this is an EXTREMELY invasive vine. In just a few years it will start to pop up everywhere in the garden. The root system is very vigorous and thick. It can grow up to 100 feet from the parent plant and your neighbor and neighbor's neighbor will be very distressed. I inherited this monster in my zone 7 garden and found it was the last plant to leaf out in the spring and the first to lose it's leaves in the fall.

Most ivys easily get out of control as well.

Newt

Return to “Perennials”