Just Getting Started

Trimming back Small Bearded Iris

Can I trim back Small Bearded Iris plants? If I can then when is the best time to do it? I know I can dig some up and transplant them to other areas in my yard but I'm just trying to lessen my clean up for next years spring clearing. I have to rake a lot of the dead leaves from over the winter and I want to know if I can take a hedge clipper to them at Mid Fall so that it is easier on me in the Spring.

Let me know if I'm crazy or not,

Just Getting Started

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Although I never do so, I understand that it's okay to cut the stalk back to within a few inches of the rhizome. Apparently, this is supposed to be done right after the flowers fade, so that the plant won't set seed. If I were to cut an iris back, I don't think I'd cut it shorter than about 3 or 4 inches. The only time I do cut back irises is when I transplant them.

Perhaps it's an old-fashioned technique, but I have always seen iris leaves cut back in an inverted V-shape, never just straight across.

pondlady

Never cut the leaves back until fall, Remove the flower stalks after flowers fade.
Cutting off the leaves starves the riazom and many will winter kill.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

But yes, once the leaves are starting to turn brown, they are done feeding the rhizome and you can cut them back. In fact you should, leaving the spent leaves lying around invites pests. Cut them back to a fan of 3-4"

Return to “Perennials”