white118

Cone flower planting from seeds.

I have been looking for how to grow cone flowers from seeds and have been seeing a lot of different ideas. I have a ton of seeds and need to know when i should plant the seeds and how. Any and all help would be appreciated.

-Matt

Jewell
Cool Member

I had a lot of Echinacea seeds so I just broadcast them in the fall where I wanted them. They seem to have come up and are almost as big as the starts I took from dividing some of my plants.

If you want to be more intentional you could sow the seeds in pots. You may be far enough south that you have plenty of warm weather yet for them to sprout.

I have done it both ways with a variety of periennals. My coneflowers have been fairly slug resistent and there aren't many pests that bother them.

Some of my mature flowering plants did their own sowing of seeds that the birds didn't eat. I have a few echinacea coming up between the pavers in my front yard. I rather like the look and will leave them.
Jewell
My Vegie Gardens https://picasaweb.google.com/Jewell2009/ ... arden2009#
Zone 7b or Western Gardener's Zone 4
There are fairies at the bottom of my garden~Anonymous

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Just make certain if you sow into the garden bed that you amend the soil first. They usually are good germinators even in pots and they divide well. You shouldn't have any problem doing it now.

white118

so sow them in the fall? The winters here don't start until late Nov when it looks like it would frost, maybe get down to 20 all winter but mostly in the 40-50 range all winter.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Yes you have 3 months of growing season left.

white118

What I don't want is the seeds to come up in the next 3 months that with just little sprouts and have then freeze and die. I would like to know how close to the first frost should I sow the seeds. Thanks.

CarolM

coneflowers

Hi...I'm in adifferent Zone ( #5) but have great luck just cutting heads off, drying, then I plant whole head in the ground in the Spring.

Good luck

kitties&pooch

CarolM

I have a question about you cutting the heads off, drying and planting the whole heads in the spring.

We're in the same zone and I've been considering planting cone flowers from packaged seed in the spring for perenializing. That works in our zone doesn't it? Do the flowers from which you cut the heads off in the fall, come back and bloom next summer? When you plant the heads of spent flowers in the spring you do this to add to your existing collection, correct?

In other words, your coneflowers have become perennials and you're planting the heads to increase the numbers each year?

How deep do you plant the seed head? Do you let them dry inside the warm house over the winter or in a cool/cold dry place like a garage or basement?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, perennials come back from the roots, so when you cut the flower heads off you are not damaging the "mother" plant. Then when you plant the seeds in the spring you are adding more plants... as plants multiply in nature.

bettyb
Newly Registered

Re: Cone flower planting from seeds.

white118 wrote:I have been looking for how to grow cone flowers from seeds and have been seeing a lot of different ideas. I have a ton of seeds and need to know when i should plant the seeds and how. Any and all help would be appreciated.

-Matt
i purchased new seed early this year and started them on top of my clothes drier in small pots. I put them outside in the ground after last frost. They finally made it but it was touch and go for a month or more.

GRDrip

The biggest problem with most seeds are getting drowned in winter -- especially the smaller seeds. I just wait until early spring and use a nail or something to poke a hole in the ground and drop a few seeds in it. It has worked for me nicely.

Return to “Perennials”