Jennlily
Newly Registered

Coreopsis Zagreb was Very Healthy -- now is Dying

Howdy,

This has been a particularly strange summer weather-wise in the Northeast. A LOT of rain and cool weather, which has caused a lot of fungii in the garden to grow. However, I have about 4 Zagrebs, all gorgeous, all healthy and all happy to bloom away despite this weird wet weather. The one Zagreb that is suddenly dying is 3 years old and very large and very (I thought) happy where it was. Sunny (when the sun is out) all day, planted near some Salvia and Irises, not mulched much. It bloomed wonderfully, and then sent up a whole hundreds more of buds, but those have turned brown and hardened up, and the needle leaves have fallen off the bottom half of the entire plant while still green. I dug up one stem to find that the roots are bright yellow and shallow, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence of burrows or tunnels underneath and the ground isn't saturated. Should I dig this guy up and place him in a container to save him??? What's happening to this almost indestructible plant! Thanks!

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Coreopsis like any perennial can get their feathers ruffled when MN changes its tune. You might want to pot up in a separate container and make certain it gets sun and water then replant it before the ground freezes. Remember they are one of the last perennials to show in the spring.

Jennlily
Newly Registered

Thanks Bullthistle,

I'll definitely dig him out and plant him in a nice container. I may just replant him in another spot in the early fall before frost just in case there's some bad mojo in that spot now. maybe when I dig him up I'll find chipmunk tunnels or something that'll explain things! :lol:

Return to “Perennials”