Minnie Red
Newly Registered

First timer Perrennial help

Hello everyone!! I need some help on picking out a perennial for my mother's grave site. First I need to get rid of the Yucca plant that was planted by my father a few years back and it has now gone out of control. Any ideas on how to get rid of it? I was thinking about cutting it down then dowsing it in Roundup.

Next bit of help I need is to figure out what perennial to plant after I get the yucca out. I want a perennial flower that is delicate and pretty but hearty at the same time. The grave is in Sunlight most of the day so I need to plant something that can withhold the sun. Her plot is about 40 minutes away from me so it is going to need to be pretty hearty. I am in USDA zones 5b - 6b. And her favorite color was purple so I would like to lean towards something like that. Any ideas or suggestions that you can help out with would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I had to dig deep to remove all the tubers of my yucca. Until I did that, it kept sprouting new shoots. I'm not a fan of yucca. Although I don't usually recommend herbicides, I think the use of Roundup might be warranted in your case, considering the location of the plant you want to remove. However, there very well may be other members who can suggest an organic solution to the problem, so don't base your decision just on my response. :)

As far as what to replace the plant with, you might find this website to be helpful:

[url=https://www.garden.org/plantfinder/]National Gardening Association Plant Finder[/url]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Couple of suggestions: bellflower (Campanula) which comes in a variety of shapes, sizes, and different shades of blue and purple or perennial salvia. The May Knight salvia is a very rich purple. The plant is very hardy and drought tolerant. It will get covered in blooms in the spring. If someone can be there to deadhead it fairly regularly, then it will keep flowering, but not as heavily all through the season.

Return to “Perennials”