CarolM

Shasta daisies

When I dead-head daisies, can I dry and save heads and plant in the Fall ?

Thanks[/I]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Yes, but I think I would allow the flowers to dry on the plant. Shastas self seed readily, so it should work fine to save the flowerheads for seeds.

You can also propagate them by dividing the root ball. In fact, you should probably do that every 3 to 5 years, just to prevent overcrowding. :)

CarolM

Thanks, I'll do that.

Why two zones? USDA and another one...?[/I]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The first is from the Sunset Wester Garden Book, a popular guide to gardening for those of us who live in the western states. The other is from the US Dept of Agriculture zone map. The zones cover slightly different territory. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Re the zones. The Sunset climate zones, of which there are 40+, are much more specific. They take into account the total climate: length of growing season, timing and amount of rainfall, elevation, ocean influence, etc. The USDA hardiness zones, of which there are 11, are strictly based on how cold does it get in winter, paying no attention to heat of summers, rainfall etc. So all it really tells you is will some plant likely survive the winter where you are.

Re deadheading and saving seeds. Those are really two separate operations. The idea of deadheading is to remove blossoms BEFORE they set seeds. That keeps the plants producing more flowers. If you let the flowers go to seed, the plant will slow down or stop producing flowers. But obviously if you are clipping the blooms before they have a chance to make any seeds, then it doesn't do you any good to save them. If you want to let the plant make seeds then you have to leave the blossoms on the plant until they have dried out.

Return to “Perennials”