superpony123

Columbine -- best conditions for it?

I purchased two in the spring, and put them in pots on my front steps. One did not do so well. It started to come back in early summed, but I ended up chucking it. Now my other one is still in the pot, still growing, but it's looking pretty shabby. It was growing beautifully in the spring, but now it looks fairly diseased, and I'm wondering if maybe it's just not in a good spot. I really have never had any columbine before, and I'm thinking it's either diseased or it's just in the wrong conditions. Right now it gets full sun in the mornings and then the afternoon it's shady.

I was thinking I'd try moving it someplace in the back yard and see what happens next year, but now I'm not sure where to put it. Full sun? Partial Shade? Full shade?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Your columbine likes part shade in very well drained soil, slightly acid to neutral and not to be over watered.

They often tend to fade out and get pretty shabby in the heat of summer, which they don't really like. They will come back later.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Unless your pot is large enough it will be gone in two years. It is a biennial and mine get morning sun and look terrible now but each spring new seeds germinate and flourish. You might want to place near soil so sees drop on the ground.

Return to “Perennials”