Androza
Newly Registered

Dahlia Problem

Hy
:( I have a problem with my dahlia plant and I was wondering if someone could tell me what is going on.

In front of my house facing south, I have a flower bed the size. I covert the flowerbed with about 10 dahlia, It make something nice to see and with much trouble.

Among my plant there is 3 that don't grow any flower, lots of green and very small button, but no flower.

I cannot explain why, since they grow at the same place, same earth, and same care as the other on who are in full bloom.
I think I should get rid these plants.

They are from last year, and I remember they had no flower on them last year.

Any logical explanation? :?
Thanks all.

Androza
Newly Registered

No One.. ??? :( :(

superpony123

Are you feeding them? Is the soil well-drained? Is this bed in full sun or shade or partial sun, or what? Is this a dinnerplate dahlia (the kind that grows quite large) or one of a smaller variety? Do the stalks look healthy and firm? Are any of the leaves turning brown or yellow, or rotting? Are any weeds growing around it?

(if the conditions are right) If it's a dinnerplate dahlia, or even a medium sized one, depending upon when you planted them, they may not begin to bloom until early august. When they are planted as early as they safely can be, they would be blooming now. If you planted the tubers a little bit late, then do not expect any flowers until August. I have 2 dinnerplates that I purchased at a greenhouse that were planted fairly early and they are flowering now (one just started to flower, the other flowered for the first time about a week or two ago) and I have 4 that I planted as tubers myself this year. I planted them in.....I believe it was mid May, which is a tad late. They are steadily growing and catching up to the others though. I also have 4 medium sized ones that I purchased as tubers and planted at the same time as the 4 dinnerplates, and they are also growing quite nicely. I believe my medium ones will bloom quite soon, since they are reaching the peak of their height.

Anyway, dahlias need FULL SUN, and they respond very well to plant food. The soil should be something that is well-drained, so the roots and tubers do not rot.

Return to “Perennials”