domesticdiva

question about daylillies

I was wondering if it was too late to plant daylilies? I live in eastern NC (zone 7) and its getting pretty hot! I came across a website called www.perennialplace.com and they have some really pretty pink and purple daylilies. I was interested in the "strawberry candy". It says its an evergreen....is that right? anyways, Ive never ordered plants before so I'm not really sure how that works either. they say that when they ship them they dig them up and cut off their tops, and pack them in peat moss. (not really sure what that means either... are they sending me just a bulb?) Its okay if they don't bloom this year, I just don't want to kill them by planting them where I think theyd look nice next year......am I making any sense at all?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Though this is not the best time to plant daylilies, it is virtually impossible to kill a day lilly. Daylilies have a root and an upper part that might be called a fan. They will be trimming the fan back. When you plant the root, the top growth will start growing again. I'm big on having a temporary nursury area in a semi shade area in my yard. If I transplant a daylily of other plant during less than an opporutune time, I plant them in good potting soil in a nursery pot, and place them in the nursery area where the plant can be given better care until the plant gets vigorous and the time to plant in the ground is more favorable. Right now I would have no hesitation in getting day lily, planting it in my nursery area, and then setting the plant in the ground later in the fall.

Return to “Perennials”