Decado
Green Thumb

What Is This Vine?

Just saw this the other day growing amongst my lilies of the valley. Does anyone know what it is?

[img]https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/wrathloki/vine.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/wrathloki/vineleaf.jpg[/img]

Green Creek
Newly Registered

It's a wild grape vine. Pull it up because it just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Decado
Green Thumb

What if I harnessed this graperage and transplant it? Are wild grapes as good as the normal kind?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

From memories of my long ago childhood, wild grapes are smaller and not as sweet as domestic grapes. Some consider them to be downright sour! :lol:

If I recall correctly, true wild grapes have male and female flowers were on separate plants. Modern domestic grapes have self-fertile flowers, although they still need insects and wind for pollination.

That's about all I remember about them. :lol:

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

You will regret if you do not dig up all the roots and destroy. Only thing they are good for is wreaths and killing and everything in their path.

Haesuse

muscadines (a specific kind of wild grape that grows everywhere down here), are down right tasty. as kids, we'd pick them straight off of vines, anywhere we'd find them, and eat all summer long.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Yes, and as a child, I ate green apples, as well. My tastes have become somewhat more refined as an adult. :lol:

Haesuse

sure, mine too. but I still like fresh muscadines. I also like a nice bottle of muscadine wine from time to time.

:lol:

Return to “Perennials”