Wendy6401
Newly Registered

Hollyhock questions

My Hollyhock bloomed wonderfully this year but now I would like to trim back the lanky stalks. Can anyone tell me when it is safe to do so? Also I would like to transplant it somewhere where it will have more height room. Can you also tell me when it is safe to transplant it?

Thanks

kitties&pooch

Since the spent stalks aren't attractive and I like to keep a tidy garden, I have cut mine back, close to the ground, within a month of their final blooming. I probably have done it later than that, which was fine too.
Mine have been quite hardy without much attention.

In general one should transplant when the temperatures are cool, but not freezing. In the spring or early-mid fall.

Sharon Marie

I way underestimated how tall my hollyhocks would get. The seed package from a seller on eBay said they would get 3-4 ft tall but they grew way over 5 feet. Can you cut the tops of these off in growing season or will it harm the plant or cause other unsightly side-effects?

kitties&pooch

Sharon,

I have miniature hollyhocks which grow about 3 feet tall with blooms the size of a quarter to golf ball size. Depending on the size of your flowers, sounds like you've got regular sized hollyhocks which can get bushy, and are better suited for trimming.

While I haven't trimmed my hollyhocks at the top to reduce the height, I have trimmed off broken branches before without affecting the blooming or the plant. They still thrived and continued to bloom.

There's always a risk that insects or disease could infect the open wound(s) where you cut. But, my experience with cutting hollyhocks has been good.

Sharon Marie

I was reading on the Country living site that most hollyhocks are biennial.. is this true?

kitties&pooch

That's the first I've heard of hollyhocks being biennial, though I can't say I've done a lot of research. I only know what I've experienced with mine. As, I've mentioned, I have miniature. A neighbor has regular sized hollyhocks. Both come up and bloom every year.

Could be they act differently with maturity or various climates? I've had mine, I'm not sure, but at least 4 years. My neightbor has had hers longer than that. This year was by far the best mine performed. With more stalks, more flowers and longer blooming, it was a banner year.

Wendy said she had a good year too. Sounds like you did as well with 5'! I have theorized with mine it was either the summer conditions (cooler) this year or the fact that they have matured. Or both. I'm curious what will happen next year.

Return to “Perennials”