Vatika
Full Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:25 am
Location: Kentucky

Trumpet flower

A friend gave me a little sapling of trumper flower plant. When I went online most of the sites talked about it being 'deadly' and poisonous. I have two dogs and a toddler, is it safe to add it to my garden?

User avatar
Kisal
Mod Emeritus
Posts: 7648
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:04 am
Location: Oregon

I'm guessing you're referring to Angel's Trumpet, of the Datura family. Yes, all parts of those plants are poisonous. If you think your child or pets might eat them, or even chew on them, I would say plant them in an area where they won't be accessible. Otherwise, you probably shouldn't try to grow them.

I have always had poisonous plants in my house and yard, and none of my pets ... dogs or cats ... have ever bothered them. My son never bothered any of my plants, either. But some children do taste everything, and some dogs will chew on anything. Only you know the habits of your pets and your child, so you'll have to be the one to determine how great the danger of poisoning might be.

Vatika
Full Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:25 am
Location: Kentucky

Hmmm, maybe I should pass it on to someone else who don't mind having a poisonous plant. My furry little ones would definitely experiment. :(

Thanks, Kisal.

Return to “Perennials”