xpoc454

Tulips and perennials for a flower bed

I have a section of flower bed that is good sunlight and about 20x4 feet long.
It currently has a ton of lambs ear and random weeds in it that I am going to remove shortly.
This fall I would like to start tulips in it. I'm a beginner in flower gardens so I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions.

From what I have understand, you need to purchase tulip bulbs and plant them in the fall. I assume they are pretty affordable and you can get them at most gardening stores or hardware stores?

Are there a lot of types to choose from? I am not sure if I want to go with one color or a mix?

How long is the growing time where you actually see a plant above ground till when it dies off for winter?

Will the tulips block other things from growing (king like what I see with dense Lilly of the Valley) or do you need to keep a look out for weeds that try to grow up among them.

Can I grow other flowers mixed with the tulips?

Does the tulip spread or do you only get 1 tulip from one bulb forever?

I'm looking for some hardy flowers that come back every year if anyone has any other suggestions.

thanks for any answers
jim

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

All bulb leaves wither after flowering and some people don't like the ugliness but do not trim back the leaves because it is storing up energey for the following year. Yes you can mingle perennials with bulbs but just make certain you plant the plants first before the bulbs so you are not digging up the builbs by accident. Just make certain you amend the soil with compost or manure and add a handful of bonemeal to the bulbs and perennials when planting and mulch afterwards to keep some of the weeds at bay.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Tulips are very widely available. I can even buy the bulbs at my local supermarket. However, the very cheap bulbs are frequently of inferior quality. For higher quality bulbs, I recommend buying from a reputable plant nursery. In addition to better quality, the people will be more knowledgeable about what they're selling, and will be able to give you good advice on how to plant and care for the bulbs.

There are a gazillion different varieties of tulips. I'm rather fond of the fringed tulips, which look just like standard tulips, except the edges of the petals are slightly ragged. They are not the same thing as parrot tulips, which I don't particularly care for. :)

Tulips come in early, mid-season and late varieties. You may want to plant a combination of them, to extend the bloom time in your garden.

Tulips, if properly cared for, will produce baby bulblets, that will grow into flowering bulbs after enough time. Overall, however, I don't consider tulips to be "forever." For me, they're good for a few years, and then they peter out. Perhaps it's the mild, wet climate where I live. I don't know.

You can interplant other flowers among the bulbs, if you wish. I happen to prefer planting summer annuals when the bulbs are finished, to hide the yellowing foliage and keep the garden bright. I like annuals because I can try something new every year, if I choose to. In some areas, I plant old favorites year after year, and in other places, I like to experiment with new combinations of color and form.

Sorry if I missed any of your questions, but others will come along with additional help for you, I'm sure. :)

xpoc454

Cool, I didnt know you could get different varities for time of bloom. I will look into that. Do you plant all the varieties at the same time in the fall?
What is the definition of fall for planting tulips?

Also, I've notices that I seem to be partial to what I would call simple flowers. These are ones that only have a few petals. I Know I like tulips, poppy and rose. Does anyone have any suggestions on other simple flowers that are perennial, grow ok in full sunlight and are hardy.
I'm new at this and don't want to kill everything off my first time out.

thanks

applestar
Mod

Not all tulips are the same. Some are more likely to continue year after year -- usually grouped as naturalizing tulips -- and others are considered more of an annual, one good show is all you get. There are also fragrant tulips, miniature tulips, etc. Many more varieties and colors than the commonly available generic bulbs. Also, spring bulbs typically produce larger or multiple flowers from larger bulbs that are only available from specialty catalogs (There are also multi-stem tulip varieties as well)

I think it's a good idea to interplant perennials that emerge later in the spring, so as not to shade the tulip foliage, then grow large enough to hide them when they turn yellow and unsightly. I usually wait until they're completely withered and will pull out easily with a gentle tug.

Since tulip bulbs need to be planted around 8" deep, shallow rooted plants also work well in combination. Tulips also combine well with shallower planted small spring bulbs like crocus, grape hyacinths, and snowdrops. They are pretty determined as far as pushing up from the ground in the spring -- I had a clump that grew sideways under a cobblestone and emerged on the other side -- I accidentally set it on top of the bulbs when I laid it down for a stepping stone in a flower bed last summer.

Some of my tulips (along with crocus and hyacinths) are planted with a bed of Virginia strawberries, another bed (somewhat shadier) of periwinkle ground cover contains mostly daffodils with scattered tulips and hyacinths and grape hyacinth, and another bed interplanted with grape hyacinths, German iris, lambs ears, and Wormwood. Be sure the site you've chosed for the tulips is sunny and well drained (it sounds like it is) and choose companion plants with similar requirements.

I get several spring bulb catalogs -- they're starting to come in the mail now. you might want to look around on-line and request free catalogs.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

20 feet is a lot of flowerbed, you can have fun with it.

If you plant it all with tulips, even with different varieties, it will be gorgeous for awhile and then the show will be over and by early June you will have a bare flower bed, so definitely mix it up.

With that much space I'd think about putting a shrub in somewhere. Dark colored tulips in front of a forsythia would be terrific.

It's easy to pop low growing annuals in, in front of the tulips and it won't disturb the bulbs. Think about pansies, forget-me-not, sweet alyssum.

Other bulbs can be mixed in. If you plant a flower bed with crocus, daffodils, tulips, iris, they bloom in that sequence and you have flowers from late Feb-ish to May or June. I have a bed like that, that also has a blanket of gold, that gets covered with golden yellow flowers while the purple tulips are blooming, a perennial purple salvia which pretty much blooms all season, daylilies, black-eyed susans, and a couple mums and asters. All in maybe half the space you have. And that means there is something in bloom in that bed from Feb to hard frost.

xpoc454

Cool, I ordered a few bulb catalogs. Any suggestions on any good free catalogs out there I may have missed?

andrea922

A great website for all plants and there is a tab to click on for just bulbs including tulips. You can also look at the digital catalog, or request a hard copy.

https://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/

You also asked about the timing of tulips. They typically start to emerge in early spring and bloom in April/May (there are early bloomers and late bloomers, etc). As for the wait time to cut back the yellowed foliage, it is quite a while!!!! I just cut mine back last week, so planting them amongst other plants is helpful to hide the unsightly yellowing as other people have suggested. It is important not to cut back the foliage until it has died off and is no longer green.[/url]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Whiteflowerfarm has a gorgeous catalog. However, I find their stuff very expensive. Parkseed.com and jungseed.com both have pretty diverse list of things available and have been very reliable and good quality for me, but less expensive.

superpony123

I love ordering bulbs from americanmeadows.com

A few days ago I purchased at least 100 tulip bulbs that I plan on planting. It was pretty tough to choose, cause I wanted all of them :D (but unfortunately, I don't have vast fields for tulip farming or anything. Anyone ever look at pics of tulip farms? beautiful!) If you like cutting flowers for vases in your house, try and pick colors that would look nice with your interior decor. I bought some reds and oranges to put in pots, as well as a blue, purple, maroon, and light pink mix to put in the bed. I'm excited, I think it will look quite nice.

Now would be a good time to order from them, because they're having a big 35-50% off sale for fall planted bulbs. (which is why I just spent all my $ there! I can't wait for spring now!) I got a good deal on tulips, daffodils, iris and some other things.

I have purchased dahlia bulbs from american meadows as well as one other place (though I do not remember the name) and have always had good experiences with their bulbs. They're definitely of a high quality. I would avoid buying tulips from the supermarket--they're cheap and don't have a good tendancy to come back the next year.

And yes, if you buy good bulbs, most should come back the next year. Don't assume if you buy 80 bulbs you will get 80 flowers. Occasionally, some may not grow into a flower and that's normal. But, for every bulb that you buy, each will likely give you several more when you dig the bulbs up in late spring. They pay for themselves, the way I see it.

Yes, you can plant other flowers with them. Crocus looks quite nice mixed in with tulips, but don't expect them to bloom at the same time. Crocus will generally bloom a bit earlier than tulips, and IIRC, they will start to die as the tulips are blooming. (correct me if I am wrong). I think daffodils also look very nice with them, but not necessarily "mixed" in if you know what I mean? maybe in the back or next to your tulips. A bunch of daffodils looks much prettier than lots of single daffodils scattered among something else.

Return to “Perennials”