Solveig
Cool Member

My favourite Iris

The Siberian Iris, Iris sibirica, is one of those plants that has a quiet beauty. It blooms in my garden right now and I think the flowers are like a work of art.

[img]https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f287/auringontie/IMG_0363-1.jpg[/img]

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Quite lovely. Their foilage also give a nice vertical element and adds a very graceful, soothing tone to the perennial garden.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Those are wonderful! Now, I simply must have some blue ones to go with my white and purple ones! I understand they come in yellow, as well. :)

Solveig
Cool Member

Yes, I agree, it also has good foliage and can be grown as an accent plant for its tidy, erect form. In the original species, the flowers are in various shades of blue with white veining on the falls, but nowadays there are several cultivars available in different colours. Most cultivars of this species are likely hybrids with related species of iris. In addition to this blue one I also have the variety ‘Butter and Sugar’, which has white standards with yellow falls and is considered to be the first 'Yellow' Siberian.

Haesuse

those are gorgeous, and I want some.

mheiderscheit

Beautiful. I have some, but they haven't bloomed in a couple of years. I think they may not be getting enough sun. How much sun do iris's need?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Mine do best in full sun. By that, I mean approximately 6 hours/day.

mheiderscheit

I live in Wisconsin, should I wait until fall or spring to move it?

Return to “Perennials”