--
--

eshenry

cant tell the first one.
second and third look like poke plants.
the last ?money wort?

applestar
Mod

I agree with #2 being poke weed. They produce dark purple berries that bird absolutely love. I always leave some growing in the out of the way places in my garden. The stems turn a beautiful magenta color in the fall.

The birds "generously" spread the seeds. The plant itself is poisonous, though they say you can eat the small spring seedlings -- I tried some this spring and had no ill effects. If you want to get rid of it, you'll need to dig it out roots and all since it is perennial and will come back year after year, with thicker and sturdier stems. I have one growing by the house that will grow over the eaves of the first story roof by fall and has at least 1" diameter stem.

In Autumn, my kids love to squish the berries and "paint" with them -- another reason to let them grow in the garden, safe from pesticides, etc.

#3 might be some kind of euphorbia?
#1 -- if the plant elongates into a prickly hairy vine, then it might be a kind of weed that often grows in hay/straw fields. I can't seem to recall what they're called, but I had some start to grow in my veg garden last year and ended up letting them grow quite a bit -- then all of a sudden, they started wrapping up veg plant stems and becoming a HUGE nuisance -- before I was able to ID them.

Solveig
Cool Member

No 3 looks like a Sedum, some kind of Sedum spurium, perhaps.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Your numbering system is a little off, since position of numbers changes. When solveig said no 3 looks like sedum, she meant the bottom one, which is the fourth picture. And the middle two are pokeweed. Still don't know the top one. Wait and see if it flowers; flowering plants are way easier to identify when in bloom!

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

2&3 def. poke.

the first one could well be a delphinium.

Sharon Marie

Not that I mind that these are poke weed. But I planted these seeds from a packet that said.. cupids dart.... So, I have seven or 8 of these "cupids dart" (which look nothing like these) in a newley raised bed on the side of my home. I know these plants came from the seed, because they are only growing in the 6 ft or so area exactly in a straight line where I planted the seeds. I hope they are beautiful. :) I'm going to look online to see what I can find out. I'm very pleased with them so far, as they look pretty to me. :) The number one plant has a puple flower that looks sortof like a japanese lantern looks. I'll have to catch it when it flowers next year. The third one I bought at a garden center and I can't seem to find the thingie that tells me what it is.. :)

andrea922

The last one does look like a sedum spurium. there are hundreds of species of sedum so try posting another pic once it flowers and it may be easier to narrow down the specific variety once we see the flower.

Return to “Perennials”