angelaJonker
Newly Registered

Planting last years Tulip bulbs

:roll:
I moved to Langley, British Columbia last year from Florida. So, I am not sure when and when not to plant flowers. I inherited two buckets of tulips last year. I was told to dig up the bulbs after the flowers were gone, and to plant them again for the spring. Is it too late to plant them now? And is it necessary to dig them up every year? If anyone has tips on how to take care of tulips please let me know. I really new to gardening in general :wink:

Thanks so much!

Angela

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Angela, welcome to the forum, and welcome to BC!!! As you can see, I am from BC (although a bit further north than you) and you will find there are several of us on the forum who come from BC. So don't feel lonely!
Normally, if you bought tulips, you would buy the bulbs in the fall, and plant them in the fall.
But you have this bucket of bulbs now, so you have to plant them now. However, by planting them now, it is unlikely that you will see them bloom this year. They need to build their roots, and store some energy in their bulbs before they bloom, and they haven't had a chance to do that.
You do not have to dig them up every year. They are very hardy, and even up here, where winter is much harsher, we don't dig them up.

Tulips should be planted in the sun to light shade. If the stems are leaning towards one direction, they are not getting enough sun, and are trying to reach for it.
They need well drained soil, with plenty of organic matter in it. So to ready your soil for your bulbs, add some compost, well rotted manure, shredded leaves, seaweed, kelp, etc. to the soil and mix it in. As time goes on, you will need to keep adding organic material, as it slowly vanishes.
When you plant the bulbs, they should be planted 2.5 times as deep as the bulb is wide. If you are planting them individually, the hole should be rounded at the bottom, so that the roots of the tulip can actually touch the soil. Before putting the bulb in, sprinkle some bone meal in the bottom, and this will help the roots be stronger.
You can also plant them in large areas, by just raking off the top layer of amended soil, sprinkling it with bone meal, placing your bulbs, and then recovering them.
Once planted, they need a good watering. Water on a regular basis, but don't let the soil get soggy, or the bulbs will just rot. While they are blooming, they require plenty of water.
You can also add a mulch about 2-3 inches deep, of organic material. Mulch will help stabilize the soil temperature, control weeds, and reduce the evaporation of moisture. The mulch could consist of shredded leaves, grass clippings, etc.
Once the tulip has bloomed, do not cut the leaves of the tulip off as the bulb needs the nutrients and sunlight to rejuvenate itself for next year. Just let them die off naturally, and they fade away to nothing.

I hope this has helped and answered most of your questions. Feel free to stop in with any questions or problems you may have or even just to chat! Good Luck!! :wink:

Val

angelaJonker
Newly Registered

:lol:
Thank you so much! You are so very helpful. I didn't have a clue what to do. And thanks for welcoming to BC. I was dragged here by my Canadian Fiance :wink: I grew up in Maine and love it here so far.

Cheers!

Angela[/url]

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

You are more than welcome. That's why we are here!
We Canadians aren't too bad - especially in BC! :lol:
I hope you like it here and enjoy all that BC has to offer!
Feel free to stop in if you need us again! :wink:

Val

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

A Down Easter out West; I will occassionally drop an r to try to keep you feeling at home (although the Canadian tendency to use the word eh is reminiscent of the Maine vernacular)...

Nice to know you CAN get theah from heah...

HG

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hi Angela, I was born in Langley Memorial Hospital, lived there for the first 8 years of my life and my father still lives in the area. Glad to have you hear.

As val said: Tulips are planted in the fall here.

Return to “Perennials”